The first Jews came to Fiľakovo at the end of the first decade of the nineteenth century. A religious gathering was established with initially 10-12 members, religious practice happened in individual houses. According to the Jewish Lexicon the orthodox Jewish parish in Fiľakovo was founded in 1820. A list from 1830 names the following families: Isacus Boger, Josephus Kaufman and Moyses Mintz. Chevra Kadischa „Szentegylet” was founded in 1843, with Lőrinc Diamant at the head for nearly 20 years. He lived in Fiľakovo for 34 years. Thanks to his character he was considered an authority.
In 1848 the city had 46 Jewish residents in 9 households.
József Kaufmann (*1798, Szécsény) and his wife had 4 sons and 3 daughters.
Ignác Lamberger (*1820, Szécsény) and his wife Johanna Kaufmann (*1822, Szécsény) hada daughter.
Leopold Ciener (*1805, Pásztó) a shopkeeper and hiw wife from Budapest, Száli Benedek, had 6 children. Their household was completed by a servant girl from Szécsény, Franciska Kohn.
Lajos Büchler (*Szügy) merchant and his wife from Tuhár, Regina Kohn, had 3 sons anda daughter.
József Braun (*1800, Szécsény) a peddler, had 2 children with his wife.
Márk Klein (* Szécsény) an old clothesman, lived with his wife and daughter.
József Neumann (*1802, Nyitra) an old clothesman, had a wife, 3 daughters, and a son.
Izsák German (*1824, Tuhár) lived with his wife, Johanna Kreisz.
Mátyás Klein (*1803, Szécsény) old clothesman lived alone.
The parish did not have a temple at the beginning, religious gatherings took place in individual homes, later in a temporary praying room (the location of which we do not know). Several members of the parish took part in the 1848/49 revolution, after the defeat of which the Austrian government imposed heavy fines on the parish. It had a significant impact on the daily life of Jews in Fiľakovo.
Initially the parish belonged to the larger group in Lučenec and rabbinate in Putnok. According to a source from 1851, Jews from Fiľakovo and the surrounding area contributed to the construction of a chapel in Lučenec.
In 1861 there were 75 families in Fiľakovo. An independent parishwas founded 1868/69 after a Jewish congress of 1867. Its article of association was accepted in 1871.
Pinkász Büchler was the first rabbi (1840-1904) and lead the parish until 1874 when he moved to Mór in present day Hungary. In 1870 the town had 129 Jewish residents. In1873it was decided that according to the motion of Áron Adolf Büchler, the son of a famous rabbi from the town of Dunajská Streda, the parish would construct their own synagogue on the former Jewish street. They organized a collection and in the same year they set the corner stone. The building was finished the next year. The two-storey building was 8m wide and 16m long, and it was considered at the time to be the nicest building in the area. After WW2 it had no owner, it was transfered to state ownership and was used as a silo. During later changes in the town it was torn down together with the surrounding houses and the Jewish school.
The parish of Fiľakovo had a register which they kept since 1867.
After Áron Büchler left, the function of rabbi was taken over by Márton Tannenbaum, who was succeeded by Menáchem Emánuel Tannenbaum. The rabbinate of Fiľakovo covered 30 communities.
In 1878 there were 31 children of school age in the Jewish community. The four class Jewish school, built right next to the synagogue, had two teachers: Mór Lőwinger and Izrael Lőwy. The chairman of the supervisory board was Adolf Büchler. The children were also taught by Sámuel Freilich and Emánuel Schwarz, since 1934 Emánul Lorber, since 1937 Dávid Klein.
In 1880 Fiľakovo had 165 Jewish residents, in 1900 there were175 and in 1910 there were 214. Jungreisz Benjámin Sámuel became main rabbi of the parish in 1890 (his successor wasSámuelReinitz, since 1927 Maximilián Holländer andJenő Grünsz), who lead the parish until the 1930’s. Under his leadership a Jesiva opened and a Talmut Tóra group was active. In 1900 there were 13 children of school age.
The Aguda Israel society was founded in 1914. It was active in cultural and educational matters and preferred a very orthodox approach. They were active predominantly in trading, crafts and agriculture.
The founder of the Fiľakovo porcelain enamel factory was Gusztáv Erlich, also a member of the parish, held important offices in Budapest and on several universities.
In the Great WarJewish men served in the Austro-Hungarian army. 4 of them fell.
In 1919 during the first czechoslovakian counting of residents 215 of 2947 residents in Fiľakovo were Jews. Rabbi Jungreisz Benjámin Sámuel was still in office at the time, and he also led the Jesive which had approximately 20 members. The Talmut Iskola (School) had a teacher: Frigyes Elchmann.
The leaders of the parish in 1929 were: Sámuel Jungreissmain rabbi, Jeremiás Krämer chairman, Samu Groszman vicechairman, Salamon Klein and Jenő Braun chamberlains, Pál Büchler, Béla Klein, Lőrinc Diamant, Jonás Lőwy, Lipót Lőwy, Sándor Léderer, Náthán Stein and Gyula Groszman wardens, József Büchler notary and Emanuel Schwarc cantor.
In 1930 there were 200 Jews in 45 families.
In 1936 of 4291 residents 248 were Jewish. Jeremiás Krämer was the chairman of the parish. The parish classroom also served as a chapel. Jewish children attended a state school and learned about religion in the Talmut Iskola. Although Jews only comprised 5-6 % of the residents, they had a deciding role in trade and industry of the town.
After the Vienna Award their rights were reduced, Jews were forbidden from moving to the town. In the spring of 1944 the parish only had 154 members, with doctor András Blitz as its chairman, rabbi chronicler was Sámuel Jungreisz, his deputy was Friedrich Chanaán. The parish had 2 employees and governed over 3 associations: Talmud Tóra, a women’s association „Nőegylet” and Chevra Kadisha.
Some of the better known chairmen of the parish: Büchler Áron Adolf, Lajos Büchler, Ignác Lázár, Dávid Schwarz, Márton Lengyel, Miksa Büchler, Jeremiás Krämer.
After Hungary was occupied by Germany in March of1944 the situation of the Jews deteriorated. There were approximately 160 Jews in town - mostly elderly, women and children. Since April 1944 they had to wear a yellow star.
In May of 1944 radical anti-jewish measures were taken and the Jews from Fiľakovo were transported to a newly created ghetto in Lučenec where they remained until June 4th.
Afterwards they were deported to Auschwitz. Most of them were gassed.
A list of identified victims:
Ábelesz Valter (41), Bernad Hela (16), Bernadnévd. N.Kornélia (44), Bisztrich Khaim, Blau Berta (46), Blitz Andrásné r. Blum Magdolna (35), Blitz Ottó (11), Blumenthal László (17), Büchler János (19), Büchler József (54), Büchler Józsefné r. Grosmann Jolán (38), Czink Rozália (13), Czinkné r. Grosmann Olga (49), Farkas Rozália (56), Friedmann Márkus (38), Frischmann Moshe (44), Frischmanné r. N. Ella (42), Glück Salamonné r. Stein Rozália (37), Goldstein Jehuda, Goldstein Khaimné r. N. Anna, Dr. Gömöri Ödön (55), Grosmann András (28), Grosmann Hedvig (35), Grosmann Sámuelné r. Neumann Szidónia (74), Guttman Buna (4), Guttman N. (2), Guttman Zsigmond (32), Guttman Zsigmondné r. Rogner Lívia (27), Holländer Sámuel (23), Haupt Jakab, Klein Dávidné r. Schwarcz Irén (33), Klein Salamon (56), Klein Salamonné r. Perlman Dóra (55), Kohn Ernőné r. Weisz Piroska (30), Königsberg Izidor (60), Königsberg Izidorné r. Farkas Rozália (50), Königsberg Márton (31), Königsberg Mártonné r. N. Sára (26), Krämer Béla (38), Krämer Jeremiás (68), Krämer Sándor (25), Léderer Sándorné r. Rogner Margit (31), Lorber Irén, Lorber Malka, Lorber Ráchel, Lőwy Hugo (50), Lőwy Izidor (39), Lőwy Izidorné r. Márkus Sarolta (32), Lőwy Jenő (28), Lőwy Katalin (22), Lőwy Leopold (50), Lőwy Leopoldné r. HaásSára (50), Lőwy Magdolna (24), Lőwy Sanyika (3), Lőwy Vilmosné r. Weisz Irén (33), Moskovics Márton (32), Müller Moshné r. N. Regina (59), Quintter Emánuel (46), Reinitz Adolfné r. Weisz Franciska, Rogner Cví (31), Rogner Jakob (32), Rogner Leopold (64), Rogner N. (1), Rogner Ráchel (2), Róth Jenőné r. Schwarcz Júlia (63), Scheinfeld Judit (29), Steinné r. Rosenblum Malka (75), Susitzky Ármin (62), Susitzky Árminné r. Blau Berta (54), Susitzky István (16), Susitzky Katalin (20), Weiman Hermann (60), Weiman Hermanné r. Stern Teréz (56), Weinréb Arnold (44), Weinréb Arnoldné r. Krämer Irén (41), Weisz Adolf (72), Weisz Adolfné r. N. Adél (65), Weisz Irén (33), Weisz Khana (13), Weisz Lea (34), Weisz Moshe József (16), Weisz Sándor (28), Weisz Sára (10), Weisz Simon Khaim (8), Weiszné r. N. Feiga (38), Weiszné r. N. Judit (35), Weiszné r. N. Olga (36).
According to a list from 1946 from the deported the following returned:
János Abeles, Margit Benes, László Bernáth, András Blitz, Dr.Izidor Blumenthal, Jenő Braun, László Braun, Johanna Büchler, Vera Büchler, Béla Czink, Éva Fränkel, Salamon Glück, Olga Gömöry, Mária Grosmann, Jolán Haupt, Mergit Hoffman, Dániel Klein, Jenő Klein, Cecília Königsberg, Arnost Kohn, Sándor Kessler, Sándor Krämer, N. Krämer, Jeremiás Krämer, Izsák Lőwy, Ilona Lőwy, Sándor Lőwy, Edit Lőwy, János Lőwy, Ferenc Lőwy, Eszter Molnár, Sarolta Rogner, Dezső Rath, Nathan Stein, Edit Sternlicht, András Schwarcz, Mária Schwarcz, József Schönberg, Arnold Weinréb, Izidor Weinmann, Lenke Weinmann, Ferdinánd Weisz, János Weisz.
Jews who returned after the war renewed the buildings and the parish as best as they could. Sándor Krämer became chairman, the next chairman after him was András Blitz.
The parish had 100 members, most of them did not come from Fiľakovo.
In the years 1948/49 several of them went to Israel and other, predominantly western countries. The Jewish parish ceased to exist, only 40 Jews remained in Fiľakovo and they joined the parish in Lučenec.
In 1970 during the construction of a firehouse all houses in the area were demolished.A memorial was erected on the spot in august of 2013 to commemorate the Jewish parish of Fiľakovo, financially supported by the Lőwy family of Australia.
According to the ,,Fülek” book by J. Puntigán